Associate General Counsel
We are seeking an experienced corporate/commercial attorney to join the DISCO Legal team as Associate General Counsel (“AGC”). This position will be located in our headquarters in Austin, TX, or in our office in New York City, NY.
As AGC, you will handle and manage a broad range of corporate and commercial matters, assist the legal and finance team with DISCO’s SEC reporting and disclosure requirements, and work in additional substantive areas as need arises. You will report directly to our Principal Vice President & General Counsel and will interface frequently with senior business leaders. You will also have an opportunity to collaborate on and shape the legal technology of today and the future.
This is a unique opportunity to focus on public company corporate and commercial transactions, while working with innovative AI and legal technology. The AGC will also have the opportunity to address a variety of other areas, such as strategic transactions, privacy, and cybersecurity. The environment is fast paced and demanding. Yet, it will be energizing and fulfilling for an energetic seasoned lawyer who welcomes the opportunity to be a creative, but pragmatic and very effective, business partner in a rapidly growing technology company with unique opportunities for continued success.
The AGC will enable DISCO to continue to scale as a young public company by partnering with the finance and business teams to ensure DISCO’s vendor and customer contracting is compliant, scalable and best in class to meet the needs of a fast-growing business. At the same time, the AGC should welcome other opportunities to be somewhat of a generalist, as well as a key team player in a small legal department where a variety of issues in different areas will arise and need attention at any given moment. The AGC must be able to proactively spot and plan for issues and work with outside the AGC effectively as needed.
What You'll Do
- Partner with key decision-makers across the company to support DISCO’s success in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Help drive new business opportunities, develop growth strategies, and provide advice and direction on key legal, legislative and regulatory developments which could have a material impact on the company’s ﬁnances, competitive positioning and/or reputation.
- Provide guidance on corporate governance matters and relevant laws, rules and regulations, including SEC reporting and disclosure, compensation, and other public company matters.
- Help provide prompt legal advice to DISCO’s business to facilitate, improve and strengthen operational decision-making through integration of legal analysis as part of the overall business development process.
- Build strong relationships and engender trust across the organization; use legal expertise, business savvy and sound reasoning to seek constructive and pragmatic solutions.
- Help build, manage and resource DISCO’s legal function for scale, increasing service levels to align with rapidly growing and increasingly global business; Leverage technology and optimize process to enhance performance, productivity and responsiveness.
- Advise on commercial matters, including partnering with the business to accelerate and streamline commercial agreements, evolving related policies and processes as needed.
- Serve as one of the principal legal advisors on corporate transactions; manage and support related due diligence, negotiation, preparation of term sheets and deﬁnitive agreements, and ﬁnancing documentation and closing processes. Assist with post-deal integration activities as needed.
- Participate in day-to-day corporate and commercial legal functions across the breadth of the enterprise, encompassing data privacy, data governance and records management, international, ﬁnance, tax, litigation, intellectual property, human resources and labor and employment matters.
- Partner with the General Counsel in selecting, evaluating, and effectively managing outside legal counsel and vendors in a cost-effective manner.
Who You Are
- JD Degree from a top law school
- Bar admission in CA, NY or TX preferred
- 8 to 10+ years of experience after law school, with experience in an AmLaw 100 firm or Fortune 500 company, counseling and working directly with executives
- In-house experience in a publicly-traded company strongly preferred although not required
- Technology contract experience, working with a broad range of commercial and general business matters
- Experience advising SaaS/software or technology-sector companies is preferred
- Excellent business judgment with the ability to meet demanding deadlines while managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience and confidence leading negotiations with a variety of counterparties
- The ability to work independently with limited oversight
- An understanding of data privacy and data security
- The ability to develop and implement policies, guidelines, and commercial templates
- An ability to anticipate potential problems and develop mitigation strategies in advance
- Willingness to serve on project teams in merger and acquisition, corporate structure development, affiliated entity formation, and other contexts
- Approach work in a creative and collaborative way, working with all internal stakeholders in a strong service-oriented way such that you are regarded as a trusted business partner, welcomed to join any project or team
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), internally and externally
- Adaptable and able to work independently and effectively, especially as priorities shift according to the needs of the business
- Welcome opportunities to grow legal expertise
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills; ability to partner cross-functionally with a dynamic leadership team
- Ability to navigate in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity, eﬃciency, and results
- Courage of conviction; intellectual curiosity. Approach that challenges norms and processes; relentlessly identiﬁes ways to add value and position the organization for success
- Demonstrated agility when building systems and practices required for scale
- Attention to detail and the highest standards for accuracy and precision
- Demonstrated success in a fast-paced and dynamic organization; experience with a leanly staffed, high-growth entrepreneurial organization preferred
Even Better If You Have…
- Experience in legal technology and AI is a plus
- Finance and business expertise
- Legal operations experience
- An understanding of export controls
- An understanding of international law
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus RSUs
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy which requires all employees in the U.S. to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.