DISCO is seeking a Data Scientist to join our AI/ML team supporting our cutting-edge AI features in the domain of legal technology. The successful candidate will have a wide knowledge of techniques and theory in machine learning, with a special emphasis on deep learning. Most of our applications involve learning from document text, so NLP experience is of particular interest, especially experience with transfer learning using transformer models such as BERT and using large language models such as GPT-3 and Chat-GPT. AI/ML forms a core part of DISCO’s brand and vision, and this position provides an opportunity to develop ideas that will transform the legal domain with significant benefits for the broader society.
What You'll Do
- Apply AI/ML domain knowledge to conceptualize, design, and develop AI/ML applications based on loose product or operational requirements
- Propose and execute applied research in topics relevant to the legal domain within Disco’s broader AI strategy of developing tools to identify the legal salience of documents
- Develop proof-of-concept prototypes for AI models and techniques
- Design experiments to assess the validity, quality, and usefulness of AI models
- Work with team to document all work done leading up to the delivery of AI and machine learning solutions
Who You Are
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Statistics, Machine Learning, or related technical fields
- Minimum 3+ years of hands on experience in machine learning (decision trees/random forest, neural networks, feature selection/reduction, clustering, etc)
- Strong knowledge of theory and techniques in machine learning generally
- Familiarity with a variety of techniques in deep learning
- Experience with deep learning frameworks, such as PyTorch (preferred), Tensorflow, MxNet, or others
- Programming skills in Python, Spark, Scala, R, SQL, or Matlab
- Experience designing experiments and assessing results
- Comfortable working in production-grade software environments
- Ability to work with data provided in a variety of formats, including raw text, pandas DataFrames, or SQL databases
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
DISCOs Tech Stack
We use several technologies within the engineering organization, and the list is always growing.
We don’t expect candidates to know all of these technologies.
Cloud Provider - AWS: EC2, Lambda, Aurora, Redshift, DynamoDB, ECS, SQS, SNS, Kinesis,
S3, CloudFront, CloudFormation, SageMaker, KMS, CodePipeline, etc.
Visibility: ELK Stack for logging, Datadog, New Relic, Sentry.io, JupiterOne, Fossa DSL-based Search: multiple large scale Elasticsearch Clusters searched using our Disco Query
Event Bus: Kafka and Schema Registry 3rd Party Vendors: Redis, Auth0 for Cloud Identity Federation (SSO, SAML, etc)
AI: MinHash, FastText, Word2Vec, Convolution Neural Nets, AWS, Sagemaker, PyTorch,
Recurrent Neural Networks, Latent Dirichlet Allocation for Topic Modeling, Large Language Models
Deployment: Terraform, Docker (via ECS), Consul for: App Config, Service Discovery, Shared Secrets.
Mechanisms: Protobuf, Avro, HTTP Rest/JSON CI/CD: Jenkins, CodePipeline, GitHub, Artifactory
We intend to build a multi-billion dollar business and think you should come along for the ride because:
- We were the first movers to a cloud-based platform that has caused mass disruption within our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He graduated with a computer science degree at the age of 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School at the age of 19. His unparalleled insights into the fundamental issues in legal and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core provide the guiding light for DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product and engineering professionals including product managers, product designers and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%, pay them well, and with equity, everyone has effectively been getting a raise each and every day. Given our product first mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We measure velocity by dollars of revenue per line of code, vs simply lines of code. This drives a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we’re going to make money when we ship products. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to ensure that our engineers have a disambiguated product intent when they are building.
- As a rule, we don’t commit to external product delivery dates as we believe that unnecessarily constrains our creativity from both a product and technology point of view. At DISCO respect isn’t earned, it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone respectfully. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high caliber of talent, the cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and novel product and design approach, you’ll find yourself learning at a rate you’ve not likely experienced in your career. Given that we only hire professionals that are passionate about their craft, you’ll truly enjoy building a great software product and get in the best “career shape” of your life.
- Over the next 4 years, we’ll be growing our product delivery organization. There will be incredible growth opportunities along the way
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organization design where small autonomous teams own a piece of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean and scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases and technical concerns through a strategically focused set of overlay functions.
- Finally, while we’re an incredibly fast-growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun if you’re passionate about your craft.
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical
- Competitive salary
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy which requires all employees in the U.S. to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.