Principal Product Designer
DISCO is on a mission to create products that drive more equitable legal access and outcomes. We are building a unified technology platform for law practice, composed of 7+ products to be released over the next ten years. We have substantially disrupted the legal tech market with a lawyer-inspired consumer-grade interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform that offers unprecedented performance and cost savings. Our objective is to become the OS for legal; we’re changing the way law is practiced by leveling the playfield, getting lawyers back to doing what they’re good at, and making the legal system more accessible for everyone along the way. While we are an incredibly fast-growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun - especially if you're passionate about your craft!
As a Principal Product Designer, you will...
Design magical and intuitive digital tools that improve the practice of law. You will discover and synthesize insights from legal professionals and other user audiences about key outcomes and workflows in partnership with other designers, product managers, and engineers. You also will iteratively refine your designs based on customer feedback and usability testing, and partner with engineering to ensure that the right product, with all of the finer details, is built to specifications. We are revolutionizing the legal industry at DISCO, and you have the opportunity to make a tremendous impact as part of our team.
What you’ll do
- Work effectively within a cross-functional team (product management, domain, design, and engineering) as a design leader to successfully define and deliver product features through user-centered solutions.
- Provide design domain expertise/input as needed for day to day planning and broader strategic roadmaps.
- Lead workshops and design sprints.
- Support our design team through knowledge-sharing, supportive collaboration, and mentorship.
- Help build and apply design standards/processes across the design team. Prototype ideas at various levels of fidelity and iteratively test them with representative users and domain experts.
- Provide elegant solutions to complex design problems and usability issues while putting the user first in everything you do.
- Communicate your designs and their underlying rationale through artifacts including prototypes, site maps, journey maps, and usability test reports. Assist in research and research synthesis to understand user needs and use cases.
- Collaborate with other designers and engineers to implement, maintain, and improve DISCO’s design system.
- Work with engineers throughout the development process to help identify bugs and ensure that designs are built to agreed-upon specifications.
Things you might work on:
- Synthesizing and simplifying complex workflows, often involving hundreds of lawyers collaborating on millions of documents.
- A visualized human communication network computed by AI.
- Creating new user flows, processes, and interfaces that improve lawyer and client experiences in our products.
Some of your strengths might include:
- A wealth of Figma experience with the ability to uncover and promote new/evolving ways of working within it
- Experience leading other designers working on complex software Experience operating as the “design lead” on a team
- Experience mentoring less-senior designers
- High comfort level with the Jobs To Be Done (JTBD) approach
- Ability to find simple solutions for complex problems
- The ability to smoothly transition from concepts and ideation to detailed execution while maintaining top-notch craftsmanship across deliverables
- Can lead and promote design thinking processes amongst your core team and the greater organization
- Stays on top of the latest industry trends, technologies, and design patterns A self-starter that takes a proactive approach and can work independently and collaboratively
- A feel for when to leverage established best practices vs customizing or inventing new approaches.
- Takes a structured, pragmatic, and holistic approach to problem-solving.
- Experience assisting with research initiatives including user studies and research synthesis
- A design superpower - illustration, animation, typography, statistical analysis, etc.
- Exceptional verbal, visual, and written communication skills
- Education (formal or otherwise) in design, human-computer interaction, human factors/ergonomics, or experimental or cognitive psychology
- 7+ years experience in product design
- Experience designing for enterprise-level B2B or B2C applications that support users performing complex, technical tasks is a plus.
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including, but not limited to, skill set, level of experience, and specific office location. For New York City only, the minimum and maximum salary offered for this role is $190k-210k. Information on other compensation and benefits is available upon request.
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus RSUs
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy which requires all employees in the U.S. to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.