Principal Machine Learning Scientist
DISCO is seeking a Principal Machine Learning Scientist to join our AI/ML team supporting our cutting-edge AI features in the domain of legal technology. The successful candidate will have a wide knowledge of techniques and theory in machine learning, with a special emphasis on deep learning. Most of our applications involve learning from document text, so NLP experience is of particular interest, especially experience with transfer learning using transformer models such as BERT and/or using Large Language Models.
AI/ML forms a core part of DISCO’s brand and vision, and this position provides an opportunity to develop ideas that will transform the legal domain with significant benefits for the broader society.
What You’ll Do
- Apply domain knowledge to conceptualize, design, and develop AI/ML applications based on loose product or operational requirements
- Lead a team of machine learning scientists to:
- Monitor, maintain, and improve existing systems that leverage AI to give insight into relevance of documents for customer needs
- Design and conduct experiments to assess the validity, quality, and usefulness of AI models
- Develop proof-of-concept prototypes for AI models and techniques
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to bring new AI features into production and/or integrate machine learning models into applications and services
- Effectively communicate complex technical concepts and AI solutions to non-technical stakeholders
- Propose and lead or execute applied research in topics relevant to the legal domain within Disco’s broader AI strategy of developing tools to identify the legal salience of documents
- Stay current with latest developments in AI/ML research
- Document research ideas for publication in patents or conference proceedings
- Foster a culture of knowledge sharing within the data science team and wider organization through training sessions and workshops
- Advanced Degree : Hold a Master's or PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Physics or a related field.
- Work Experience: At least 5 years hands-on experience in artificial intelligence and machine learning, with a strong focus on generative AI applications.
- Expertise in AI Technologies: extensive experience in building and fine-tuning generative AI applications, including large language models. Proficiency in programming languages such as Python (preferred) and frameworks like PyTorch, TensorFlow, MxNet, or others is essential.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) Proficiency: Showcase a deep understanding of NLP concepts, encompassing language modeling, text generation, sentiment analysis, and named entity recognition. Familiarity with cutting-edge language models like GPT, BERT, or XLNet is required.
- Research Abilities: Demonstrated ability to conduct research and to stay updated with the latest developments in the field. Able to lead innovative research initiatives.
- Leadership & Innovation: Experience in leading teams, managing projects, and mentoring junior data scientists. Have a track record of leading teams in research, designing experiments, and evaluating results. We are looking for innovative problem solvers who can quickly grasp domain-driven problems and propose effective AI/ML solutions.
- Effective Communication: Possess strong written and verbal communication skills to collaborate seamlessly with diverse teams and articulate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Even Better If You Have
- Demonstrable record of publications and/or patents indicating the ability to innovate and follow through on ideas
- Experience with cloud platforms and technologies for scalable model training and deployment
- Experience with parallel computing, distributed systems, or GPU acceleration
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) practices
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus RSUs
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy which requires all employees in the U.S. to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.