Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Platform
CS DISCO is aimed at redefining the landscape of legal technology. Ultimately, we seek to enable lawyers to achieve more efficient, data-oriented, and fact-based legal outcomes. We started our journey as a company by focusing on the crucial 'discovery' phase of the legal process. Our initial offering, Ediscovery, focuses on enabling legal teams to achieve these outcomes with incredible efficiency.
The massive data proliferation over the last decades has revealed the limitations of many legal technology products, impacting the efficiency of legal practices. At CS DISCO, we strive to provide solutions to the legal domain that are magical. To do so requires the processing of large volumes of data at petabyte scale, with high availability, while maximizing performance, minimizing operations cost, and also ensuring data security, privacy, and sovereignty.
Our overarching mission is to create a unified technology platform for the practice of law. We envision a suite of products focused on delivering distinctly better legal outcomes with a minimum of human toil and cost. Our technology addresses the challenges of scale in data and enables legal teams to focus on the critical tasks that necessitate human legal judgment.
With a trajectory that has already seen substantial disruption in this market, our approach is underscored by a lawyer-inspired interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform, aiming for exemplary performance and cost efficiency. Thoughtful product planning and design are ingrained in our “product first” business ethos and culture, aligning with the broader objective of enhancing the practice of law through technology.
At CS DISCO, our cloud infrastructure is the backbone that enables us to deliver cutting-edge solutions to our clients. As a Staff Engineer on our team, you will be a key technical leader, guiding the evolution and management of our AWS-based cloud infrastructure, focusing on our big data platform. Your expertise will drive enhancements to our system's security, reliability, scalability, and the overall success of our cloud-based solution development. With a thorough understanding of CloudFormation, Terraform, and CodePipeline, you will help to elevate our DevOps practices, ensuring seamless CI/CD pipelines, efficient container orchestration, and robust monitoring solutions. Your technical leadership will not only impact our current operations but will help shape our future cloud strategy.
What You'll Do
- Deliver Software: Engage actively in coding, code reviews, and technical discussions, ensuring high-quality output.
- Architect Systems: Lead the design, development, and maintenance of scalable, high-performance data architectures, ensuring seamless operation of our big data platform at petabyte scale
- Create Big-Data Solutions: Craft and optimize data pipelines, incorporating orchestrated scale-out architectures that leverage serverless and containerized compute for a balance of cost, latency, and duration.
- Optimize Performance: Continuously enhance system performance, focusing on transactional or eventually consistent stores that provide well-encapsulated domain object semantics.
- Provide Technical Mentorship: Share knowledge and mentor junior engineers, promoting a culture of technical excellence and continuous learning.
- Collaborate Cross-Functionally: Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to translate business requirements into robust technical solutions.
Who You Are
- 10+ years of experience in backend engineering, with a focus on cloud platforms and big data solutions.
- 6+ years of hands-on experience with AWS, including a strong understanding of CloudFormation, Terraform, and CodePipeline.
- 6+ years of experience in scripting languages such as Python and Bash.
- 6+ years of experience with Github, CI/CD platforms, and container technologies like Docker.
- Technically Proficient:
- Extensive experience in automating deployment/scaling of containerized applications, and Infrastructure As Code (IAC) practices.
- Strong knowledge of Linux system administration and automation.
- Systems Designer: Demonstrated expertise in designing, implementing, and maintaining (through operational observability) high-availability, high-performance, distributed cloud infrastructure and platforms. Your proficiency extends to ensuring seamless deployment, scaling, and management of our cloud resources.
- Delivery-oriented: Proven ability to deliver well-crafted, tested, and maintainable code solutions to complex technical challenges.
- Tech-agnostic: Experience with multiple software stacks, have opinions and preferences, but are not tightly coupled to a specific stack.
Even Better If You Have...
- Technical Proficiency:
- Experience with Windows Servers, ASP.NET Deployments (WebDeploy), PowerShell scripting, and systems integration.
- Proficiency in Kubernetes, Jenkins, and Artifactory.
- Proven experience in leading technical discussions, mentoring junior engineers, and collaborating across multi-disciplinary teams to drive complex projects to completion.
- Ability to articulate and advocate for best practices in cloud infrastructure management and DevOps processes to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Innovation: A track record of driving continuous improvement, identifying and leveraging emerging cloud technologies to solve complex business challenges.
- Learning & Development: A commitment to continuous learning and staying updated with the latest in cloud platforms, big data technologies, and DevOps practices.
- Polyglot Experience: Demonstrated proficiency in multiple programming languages, including but not limited to Python.
Some of Our Technology Stack
- Cloud Providers: AWS, Azure, GCP
- Persistence: Elastic Stack, DynamoDB, AWS Neptune, Hashicorp Consul
- Observability: OpenTelemetry, DataDog, New Relic, Elastic Stack, Prometheus, Grafana
- Messaging: Kafka, SNS/SQS
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus RSUs
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy which requires all employees in the U.S. to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.