Engineering Manager I
As an Engineering Manager, you will not only build high-quality software delivering feature sets that delight customers but also drive the architecture of one or more subsystems towards our aspirational goal of everything ‘well-crafted’. In this role, you will also be expected to contribute technically through leading system design and architecture, implementing solutions, and reviewing code. You will also grow into a role where you are directly managing up to 4 other engineers. Although prior people management experience is not required, a strong interest in developing along the management track is essential.
What You'll Do
- Determining project requirements and developing work schedules for the team
- Delegating tasks and achieving daily, weekly, and monthly goals.
- Liaising with team members, management, product managers, and product designers to ensure projects are completed to standard.
- Facilitating effective cross-team communication and coordination.
- Motivating staff and creating a space where they can ask questions and voice their concerns.
- Being transparent with the team about challenges, failures, and successes.
- Writing progress reports and delivering presentations to the relevant stakeholder
Who You Are
- Possess 8+ years of software development experience for large scale web applications.
- Minimum 2+ years experience managing a small team of junior to senior developers
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field.
- Have previous experience in a Tech Lead role with demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Have experience designing and operating software in a Cloud Provider such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Have experience with SQL-based cloud data storage technologies.
- An engineer who is able to design and communicate external and internal architectural perspectives of well-encapsulated systems (e.g. Service Oriented Architecture, Docker-based Services, micro-services).
- Strong skills in API and Data Model Design and Implementation including how to scale out, make highly available, and map to storage systems.
- Ability to design and implement a layered application architecture that can be easily changed to accommodate evolving business requirements.
- Excellent technical, diagnostic, and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent communication, motivational, and interpersonal skills
Even Better If You Have...
- Understanding of how to design and develop from a Security Perspective.
- Used Feature or Release Toggles as a code branching strategy.
- Experience selecting and extending 3rd party components (commercial or open-source) that provide operational leverage.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) with an emphasis on a well-maintained testing pyramid.
- Experience with NoSql data stores, data caches, and other non-relational data storage technologies.
- Experience with Federated GraphQL, providing a unified API access across different systems.
- Worked with messaging and streaming platforms such as Kafka and understand the principles of event-driven architecture.
- You are familiar with Protobuf and gRPC for defining service interfaces and efficiently serializing structured data
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical and dental insurance
- Competitive salary plus discretionary bonus
- Opportunity to be a part of a startup that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy which requires all employees in the U.S. to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.