Staff Software Engineer, Data Platform
CS DISCO is aimed at redefining the landscape of legal technology. Ultimately, we seek to enable lawyers to achieve more efficient, data-oriented, and fact-based legal outcomes. We started our journey as a company by focusing on the crucial 'discovery' phase of the legal process. Our initial offering, Ediscovery, focuses on enabling legal teams to achieve these outcomes with incredible efficiency.
The massive data proliferation over the last decades has revealed the limitations of many legal technology products, impacting the efficiency of legal practices. At CS DISCO, we strive to provide solutions to the legal domain that are magical. To do so requires the processing of large volumes of data at petabyte scale, with high availability, while maximizing performance, minimizing operations cost, and also ensuring data security, privacy, and sovereignty.
Our overarching mission is to create a unified technology platform for the practice of law. We envision a suite of products focused on delivering distinctly better legal outcomes with a minimum of human toil and cost. Our technology addresses the challenges of scale in data and enables legal teams to focus on the critical tasks that necessitate human legal judgment.
With a trajectory that has already seen substantial disruption in this market, our approach is underscored by a lawyer-inspired interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform, aiming for exemplary performance and cost efficiency. Thoughtful product planning and design are ingrained in our “product first” business ethos and culture, aligning with the broader objective of enhancing the practice of law through technology.
You will be a key contributor for our Ediscovery Data Platform and responsible for both hands-on technical work to improve existing systems as well as guiding long-term enhancement and evolution in this space. You’ll be successful by ensuring that the data platform of our Ediscovery product can meet current demand and scale to meet future needs. Through your contributions towards both implementation and system design, you will play a pivotal role in maintaining and evolving our distributed data platform to meet the growing demands of our business, ensuring high availability and high performance.
What You'll Do
- Deliver Software: Engage actively in coding, code reviews, and technical discussions, ensuring high-quality output.
- Architect Systems: Lead the design, development, and maintenance of scalable, high-performance data architectures, ensuring seamless operation of our big data platform at petabyte scale
- Create Big-Data Solutions: Craft and optimize data pipelines, incorporating orchestrated scale-out architectures that leverage serverless and containerized compute for a balance of cost, latency, and duration.
- Optimize Performance: Continuously enhance system performance, focusing on transactional or eventually consistent stores that provide well-encapsulated domain object semantics.
- Provide Technical Mentorship: Share knowledge and mentor junior engineers, promoting a culture of technical excellence and continuous learning.
- Collaborate Cross-Functionally: Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to translate business requirements into robust technical solutions.
Who You Are
- Experienced: 10+ years of relevant experience in backend engineering, with a substantial focus on big data platforms.
- Technically Proficient: Deep expertise with both relational and non-relational data stores, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MySQL, PostgreSQL. Familiarity with JVM-focused tech stacks, particularly server-side Kotlin and gRPC.
- Systems Designer: Demonstrated expertise in designing, implementing, and maintaining (through operational observability) high-availability, high-performance, distributed data processing systems — maybe you’ve read “Designing Data-Intensive Applications”
- Delivery-oriented: Proven ability to deliver well-crafted, tested, and maintainable code solutions to complex technical challenges.
- Tech-agnostic: Experience with multiple software stacks, have opinions and preferences, but are not tightly coupled to a specific stack.
- Cloud-oriented: You’ve delivered data platform software solutions (including designing, implementing, and operating) in the cloud
Even Better If You Have...
- Advanced Data Processing: Experience with algorithmically intensive data engines operating on streaming, large, or multi-tenant datasets.
- Multi-Tenancy Architectures: Experience with designing, modifying, and operating multi-tenant systems.
- Security Best Practices: Familiarity with security best practices in system design and development.
- Polyglot Experience: Demonstrated proficiency in multiple programming languages, including but not limited to Python.
Some of Our Technology Stack
- Cloud Provider: AWS
- DSL-based Search: multiple large-scale Elasticsearch Clusters searched using our Disco Query Language (DQL)
- Persistence: Elasticsearch, Cassandra, SQL data stores, others
- Event Bus: Kafka
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus RSUs
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy which requires all employees in the U.S. to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.