Principal Platform Architect
DISCO is a legal tech software company. Our objective is to own the legal tech market and become the leader in legal just as Salesforce has done in the sales technology space. Given the massive growth of data over the last 20 years, poorly built legal technology products have severely decreased lawyers' ability to practice law.
Our fundamental mission includes building a unified technology platform for the practice of law, composed of 7+ products released over the next 10 years. Great technology can solve problems of scale in data, in law, and in business operations that distract lawyers from doing what they went to law school to do. DISCO is fixing the law by automating the parts of the practice that can be so that great lawyers can focus on tasks that really do require human legal judgment.
To date, we have substantially disrupted the legal tech market with a lawyer-inspired consumer-grade interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform that offers unprecedented performance and cost savings. Thoughtful product planning and product design are core tenets in our “product first” business strategy and culture.
Documents are a central concept of the law and in legal tech. Storing, retrieving, organizing, indexing, and searching terabytes of documents for our customers is a major portion of the technical foundation for our business. The volume and complexity of those activities, as well as the amount of data is always increasing. We are developing the next level of capabilities and abstractions to automate the scale of this subsystem. Doing so will have a massive impact on our ability to serve customers, deliver features, and scale our platform
What You'll Do
- Define infrastructure automation strategy for highly scalable and crazy performant search systems
- Identify capabilities and abstractions needed to satisfy required performance and scalability targets through automated, zero-downtime data and infrastructure management.
- Build and maintain roadmap and architecture for realizing those abstractions and capabilities.
- Lead software and systems development for that roadmap.
- Contribute leadership, understanding and lessons learned to the greater DISCO platform in these areas.
- Recruit, hire and mentor other architects and engineers to accomplish the above.
Who You Are
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Ability to create and communicate systems architectures including Domain-Driven Design, Jobs to Be Done, architectural patterns, and diagramming techniques
- Mastery of infrastructure automation such as Terraform, Cloudformation, Chef, Puppet, etc.
- Proficiency with container-based deployment such as Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Fluency in one or more cloud providers such as AWS, GCP, or Azure (AWS preferred)
- Experience operating datastores at scale, such as: ElasticSearch, NoSql Stores, Kafka, Columnar Databases, DataFlow or Pipeline Systems, Graph DataStores.
- Experience operating systems at scale including observability and site reliability
- Experience using Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) with an emphasis on a well-maintained testing pyramid.
- Experience with multiple software stacks, have opinions and preferences, and not be married to a specific stack.
Even Better If You Have…
- Advanced degree in computer science, software engineering, or similar
- Experience managing a team of direct reports
- Experience designing, modifying, and operating multi-tenant systems.
- An understanding of how to design and develop from a Security Perspective.
- An understanding of how to identify, select, and extend 3rd Party Components (Commercial or Open Source) that provide operational leverage but does not constrain our product and engineering creativity.
DISCO's Technology Stack
- Cloud Provider - AWS: EC2, Lambda, Aurora, Redshift, DynamoDB, ECS, EKS, SQS, SNS, Kinesis, S3, CloudFront, CloudFormation, SageMaker, KMS, CodePipeline, etc.
- DSL-based Search: multiple large-scale Elasticsearch Clusters searched using our Disco Query Language (DQL)
- Event Bus: Kafka and Schema Registry
- 3rd Party Vendors: Redis, Auth0 for Cloud Identity Federation (SSO, SAML, etc)
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus RSUs
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.