Engineering Manager, Full Stack
Location: Remote (United States)
CS DISCO is aimed at redefining the landscape of legal technology. Ultimately, we seek to enable lawyers to achieve more efficient, data-oriented, and fact-based legal outcomes. We started our journey as a company by focusing on the crucial 'discovery' phase of the legal process. Our initial offering, Ediscovery, focuses on enabling legal teams to achieve these outcomes with incredible efficiency.
The massive data proliferation over the last decades has revealed the limitations of many legal technology products, impacting the efficiency of legal practices. At CS DISCO, we strive to provide solutions to the legal domain that are magical. To do so requires the processing of large volumes of data at petabyte scale, while maximizing performance & minimizing operations cost, and serving this data to users intuitively with fluid, highly responsive consumer-grade experiences.
Our overarching mission is to create a unified technology platform for the practice of law. We envision a suite of products focused on delivering distinctly better legal outcomes with a minimum of human toil and cost. Our technology addresses the challenges of scale in data and enables legal teams to focus on the critical tasks that necessitate human legal judgment.
With a trajectory that has already seen substantial disruption in this market, our approach is underscored by a lawyer-inspired interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform, aiming for exemplary performance and cost efficiency. Thoughtful product planning and design are ingrained in our “product first” business ethos and culture, aligning with the broader objective of enhancing the practice of law through technology.
What You'll Do/Your Impact
- Own mission critical Front-end and Back-end systems responsible for delivering magical, consumer-grade experiences
- Guide your team to deliver value pragmatically and productively while building architecturally sound, well-crafted, secure, testable, interoperable, and easily modifiable systems
- Build an effective team by hiring and developing top talent, instituting and evolving team practices, and fostering a culture of respect, cooperation, dependability, ownership, and gratitude
- Foster operational excellence, improving the performance, availability, and scalability of your systems, and your staff’s ability to consistently improve them
- Represent the team and charter to internal stakeholders, leadership, and the business
- Evaluate team architectural designs for completeness and coherence with requirements
- Work closely with partners in Product to align on business goals and deliverables
- Work closely with partners in Design to evaluate their artifacts for completeness and coherence with requirements and existing UI patterns
What You'll Own
Your team will own critical UI real estate such as:
- Highly performant, seamlessly integrated document viewers for file types such as PDFs, spreadsheets, images, videos, etc.
- Low latency multimedia playback capabilities
- Scalable, event-driven back-end systems that leverage serverless or containerized compute to balance cost, latency, and duration
Who You Are
- 10+ years of experience including prior hands-on experience developing both front-end and back-end systems that operate in a cloud native environment
- 3+ years of engineering management including experience hiring, managing, and growing engineers up to staff level
- Experienced with owning a team charter and managing a technical roadmap.
- Understand architectural patterns and techniques such as domain-driven design, service-oriented architecture, api-first design, diagramming conventions, etc.
- History of owning and improving operational excellence for front-end and back-end systems where developers are responsible for site reliability
- Track record of delivering well tested, reliable systems and fostering a culture of quality
- Skilled with front-end technologies such as React and Micro Frontends
- Working knowledge of some back-end architectures & datastores such as Sql and NoSql stores, multi-tenant systems, and microservice architectures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a good sense of when there’s a need to dive into the details
Even Better If You Have…
- Experience with federated GraphQL and designing encapsulated, scalable data schemas for it
- Experience with high-scale data streaming architectures (e.g., kafka, kinesis)
- Experience in organization design, charter definition, and engineering roadmap development and prioritization
- Experience working with end-to-end UI regression testing and tools like Cypress or Playwrite
- Experience with different application bundlers such as Webpack, Rollup, Parcel, EMS, etc.
DISCO's Technology Stack
- Cloud Provider: AWS - EC2, Lambda, Aurora, DynamoDB, ECS, SQS, SNS, Kinesis, S3, CloudFront, CloudFormation, KMS, CodePipeline, etc.
- DSL-based Search: multiple large-scale Elasticsearch Clusters searched using our Disco Query Language (DQL), Vector Search
- Persistence: Elasticsearch, Cassandra, SQL data stores, others
- Event Bus: Kafka & Schema Registry
- Deployment: Terraform, Docker (via ECS), Consul for App Config, Service Discovery, Shared Secrets
- AI: LLMs, MinHash, FastText, Word2Vec, Convolution Neural Nets, PyTorch, Recurrent Neural Networks, Latent Dirichlet Allocation for Topic Modeling, etc.
- Visibility: ELK Stack for logging, Datadog, New Relic, Sentry.io
- Programming Languages: Typescript, Kotlin, Java, C#/.NET, Python,
- Transport Mechanisms: Protobuf, Avro, HTTP Rest/JSON, GraphQL
- UI Libraries: React, Apollo, React Query, Redux, Redux Sagas, Jest, Cypress
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus RSUs
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.